On Monday 11/15, we got an alarming call from a friend and fellow San Antonio business owner, Earnest Glen with Topaz Cleaning & Restoration stating that his 2011 F350 branded work truck had been stolen — and with the truck, they took his dog, Joe. The truck was stolen sometime between 12:30 pm and 2:00 pm outside of a Mamacita’s Restaurant on i10.
Upon discovering his missing truck, a Mamacita’s employee stated, “This is bad. Three other cars have been broken into this week and stolen here, this is not good.” After questioning Mamacita’s management in hopes of receiving security camera footage to track down the thieves, Earnest was informed that their security cameras do not work and the restaurant has not had time to fix them.
Keeping Your Vehicle Safe
- The time of day is irrelevant. If the thief wants it, they will figure out a way to do it in broad daylight (obviously).
- Thieves love to steal vacant vehicles near highways. The close proximity to highways provides a quick getaway.
- Usually, the thief is not that concerned with the vehicle itself. They are after the parts that make up the vehicle. (Catalytic converts are hot ticket items).
- Regardless of the vehicle’s age, it is easy for thieves to break in. They can either easily pick a lock, or use the driver’s close proximity (while they are enjoying a meal at a restaurant, restaurant, sipping a cup of coffee at a coffee shop, shopping, watching a movie, etc.) to extend the signal from the fob to the car and unlock the doors.
- Starting vehicles without a key is alarmingly simple.
What Drivers Can Do to Protect Their Vehicles
Steering Wheel Lock
Use a steering wheel lock! Now, sure, it may be inconvenient for the driver at times, but this is the only way to prevent someone from breaking in AND THEN driving away. Why? Well, a steering wheel lock prevents the individual from actually driving the vehicle!
Yes, it is possible for a thief to break the steering wheel lock… but this takes time, which is not on their side. The longer it takes for them to actually move the vehicle, the likelihood of them getting caught increases too! Therefore, when a thief comes across a vehicle with a steering wheel lock, they will likely just move on to a different vehicle!
Install a GPS Tracker
As stated above, it is impossible to stop all theft! However, there are actions that drivers can take to help prevent vehicle theft — using a steering wheel lock and installing a GPS tracker. We strongly encourage that you employ these two simple tricks!
Lastly, if you are in the San Antonio area and have seen Joe, Earnest’s dog, please give us a call! We would love to help Joe return home!