Summer is officially here, which means it’s a better time than ever to learn the top five tips to secure your home while on summer vacation. Whether you are jet-setting across the ocean and visiting international destinations or staying local and visiting the coast for the weekend, worrying about your home’s security while you’re away should be the last thing on your mind. According to the US Dept. of Justice, seasonal patterns exist in victim criminalization trends. Household crimes such as theft and burglary rates are higher in the summer than during other seasons of the year. Whatever you have planned for the summer, BPS Security is here to make sure that you know the best ways to protect your home while on summer vacation.
Top 5 tips to secure your home while on summer vacation
There should be if there isn’t a rule about leaving stress behind while on vacation. So, what can you do to beef up security? Let’s get into it! Familiarizing yourself with these helpful tips will allow you and your family to enjoy yourself while on vacation.
- Don’t share everything on social media: Even if your accounts are private, there is no way to guarantee that tech-savvy thieves will not see your post announcing that you are headed to the airport and won’t be back for a week. One famous example of this occurring is when world-famous Kim Kardashian closely documented her trip to Paris. The icon was robbed at gunpoint while on vacation in France. E!News Daily reported that “sources close to Kim [knew] that she blamed herself for the robbery, citing her real-time, geo-tagged promotion of the extravagant jewels she was wearing.” Bottom line: You can share vacation pictures with your followers, but it is best to wait until you are safely at home to do so.
- Lock windows and doors before you leave: This security step seems logical. However, many people can forget to lock ALL their doors and windows. Don’t forget to check every opening in the house before you head out the door.
- Get to know your neighbors: This tip is essential for travelers who don’t need to invest in an expensive security system. The easy and affordable alternative to keep an eye on your home is to ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on things while you are gone. Ask a friend or neighbor to help with:
· Taking out the trash cans
· Getting your mail
· Hanging onto a spare key so that you don’t have to leave one out
- Install motion sensors and electronic timers: Even if you have someone stop by your home while away, it is still a good idea to install motion sensors and timers on electronics in your home. By installing timers on various lights and televisions at sporadic intervals, you are more likely to create the illusion that someone is home. A clever thief may notice that your lights turn on for twenty minutes every day at dusk and realize that you are not home.
BPS Security Has Your Back
By now, you know that BPS Security is redefining the industry standard for what it means to have proper protection. Over the years, we have helped countless businesses and people secure their premises while providing peace of mind across the board. CEO Glen Bhimini and his team of top-of-the-line security guards are committed to protecting you and your space! For more information on our services, head over to our website today, and take solace in knowing the tips to secure your home while on summer vacation!